The school offers a wide range of subjects.
1 Junior Certificate
2 Leaving Certificate
3 Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP)
4 Transition Year
Junior Cycle Curriculum:
- Religious Education
- CSPE (Civic Social Political Education)
- PE (Physical Education)
- SPHE (Social Personal Health Education)
- Modern Foreign Language (MFL) Students choose between French or German
- Wellbeing - 10 week modules each year in each of the following
- Business Studies
- Home Economics
SPHE, PE and Choir are non exam subjects.
At senior cycle students have 3 programme options:
Leaving Certificate Curriculum:
- Senior Cycle RE
- Guidance in fifth year
- Students continue to study their MFL choice of French or German
- Home Economics
- LCRE (Leaving Certificate RE)
- LCPE (Leaving Certificate PE)
Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP)
LCVP is a Senior Cycle Programme of the Department of Education and Science, designed to give a strong vocational dimension to the Leaving Certificate (established). The programme combines the virtues of academic study with a new and dynamic focus on self-directed learning, enterprise, work and the community.
Young people taking the LCVP have a unique opportunity to develop their interpersonal, vocational and technological skills. These skills are equally relevant to the needs of those preparing for further education, seeking employment or planning to start their own business.
The primary goal of the LCVP is to prepare young people for adult life by ensuring that they are educated in the broadest sense, with an ability to cope and thrive in an environment of rapid change. Participants in the programme are encouraged to develop skills and competencies fundamental to both academic and vocational success.
Throughout the programme students are encouraged to:
- Be innovative and enterprising
- Take responsibility for their own learning
- Adapt to changing circumstances
- Evaluate data and devise solutions to problems
- Communicate their thoughts and ideas effectively
- Work with others as part of a team
- Investigate and plan career options
- Use information and communications technologies
- Investigate local businesses and community enterprises
- Learn from their experiences
These skills and qualities are equally relevant to the needs of those preparing for further education, seeking employment or planning to start their own business.
The students take Leaving Certificate subjects listed above and additional courses of study in work preparation and enterprise known as the Link Modules. Assessment is by Portfolio of work (60% of final marks) completed over the two years and an examination (40% of final Marks).
Transition Year Programme
Transition year is an extra year taken after Junior Cycle. This is optional in our school.
The Transition Year Programme promotes the personal, social, vocational and educational development of students and prepares them for their role as autonomous, participative and responsible members of society (Transition Year Guidelines, 1994, Department of Education).
It provides a bridge to enable students to make the transition from the more dependent type of learning associated with the Junior Certificate to the more independent learning environment associated with the Leaving Certificate. It encourages personal and social development and recognises the need for students to grow in independence. Transition Year fosters academic achievement as students prepare for a Leaving Certificate programme, further study and adult and working life.
It encourages the development of a wide range of transferable critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
Transition Year Curriculum
- Woodwork (through exchange with local school)
- Environmental Studies
- Health & Safety
- Media Studies
- Mini Company
- Personal Development
- Religious Education
- Travel & Tourism
- Young Social Innovators (YSI)